Skip to main content

Students Utilizing Google Sites as Digital Portfolios

As a Google Apps For Education district our students have the ability to create Google Sites with limited sharing permissions. This is great news for teachers who want to have their students build a website, but don’t want their students’ work to be public on the web.


Over the past few weeks in 7th grade English/Language Arts classes at my school site, students have created digital reflective portfolios via Google Sites.  For some students, and teachers, Google Sites can be a complicated and daunting task, so I decided to put together a series of instructional videos for my students to watch as they build their Google Sites.  I housed all videos on my YouTube account, so my students would always have access to them.  

Please feel free to use my videos in your classroom or to help you make your own Google Site. You can access all fifteen video here.


Note: Sometimes when watching the YouTube videos at school, some of the videos would be blocked due to safety mode. This varied by student, and some students did not have a problem with any of the videos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growth

My one word intention for 2015 is growth.  As an educator it is essential that I provide the best instruction and experiences for my students.  In order to achieve this, I know that I need to continually grow both professionally and personally.  Keeping my focus on the word “growth” will help me improve my lessons, progress on the SAMR model, and continue to meaningfully connect with my students on daily basis. When I reflect back on writing my teaching philosophy as a new teacher several years ago, I remember pondering growth and stagnation.  I knew that I never wanted to become complacent with my teaching style, curriculum, or role as an educator.  I made a promise to myself to always focus on moving forward and becoming a better educator throughout my journey.  I want to keep up that goal by consciously focusing on growth each day in my classroom as a teacher and outside of my classroom as a I prepare and create for my students.

Fall Cue 2014 Learning Highlights

As a Tech II Leader/Coach for my district, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to attend the 2014 Fall CUE Conference.  This was my first Fall CUE experience, and I LOVED it!  It was a weekend full of learning and connecting with other educators.  I left the conference feeling inspired and rejuvenated as an educator.  I wanted to share some of my favorite Aha moments to continue the impact of CUE.   Learning Highlights: It is important to Cultivate Curiosity within the classroom! In Karl Lindgren-Streicher’s and Robert Pronovost’s session, a group of educators discussed their thoughts, ideas, and best practices for cultivating curiosity.  One of my biggest takeaways was that curiosity is where learning comes from. I see the validity of this statement as I reflect on my own journey of learning.  The learning experiences I remember the most are the ones where curiosity played a large role.  I still remember when I was in third grade an

Design Thinking: The Wallet Project

This year I am extremely fortunate to teach an elective class called Design Thinking. Last year, through the support of my principal and district, I was able to attend many professional development sessions focused on Design Thinking. In this elective, modeled after Stanford's Institute of Design, teams of students are introduced to the creative process of designing meaningful solutions to problems at a local, domestic, and global level.  Students are encouraged to think and go “big,” while focusing on the key stages of the design cycle: empathize, define, ideate, prototype, and test. Students are guided to identify needs, design solutions, collaborate with peers, and present their findings to a meaningful audience. As my colleague and I designed our Design Thinking curriculum over the summer, I would often second-guess my decisions: Will the students enjoy the class?  Will they understand the importance of the Design Cycle?  Will they be engaged?  Will this elective be meaningful